Most people get a stair lift when they struggle getting up and downstairs due to health or mobility problems. Having one installed can vastly improve the quality of life of people who suffer with this.
Advantages of stair liftS
- Stair chair lifts can be placed on pretty much any set of stairs, curved or straight. They are also cheaper than built in home lifts, with the most significant expense being an electrical outlet at the bottom of the stairs.
- Stair lifts can be installed fairly speedily, usually within a day or two. This is ideal for people who need access between floors as soon as possible, whether it’s for medical reasons or simply because you don’t have enough time and effort for it to be delayed.
Disadvantagesof stair lifts
- Although stair lifts are practical, they aren't always the easiest on the eye. Stair lifts are designed for substance, not style.
- If you have unusually-shaped or curved stairs, the installation process can take longer. This is because the design will need to be customised to suit the path of the stairs.
A home lift will accomplish the same purpose as a stair lift, but they offer more practicality and will also add luxury and style to your home. Take a look at our projects to see how much presence they can give to an interior.
Advantagesof home lifts
- Home lifts have sliding doors and come in hydraulic or cable drive operation options. If the thought of too much noise frightens you, the hydraulic option gives a smooth and quiet ride.
- The lift design is customisable, so you can choose to have wooden, glass or even metal fittings if that’s your desired aesthetic. There is so much room for creativity here: if you're going to invest in this feature, you'll want it to slot in with the existing decor with a bespoke lift.
- Unlike stair lifts, home lifts are also capable of moving objects as well as people. Moving heavy furniture up and down floors, for example, suddenly becomes far more convenient. The practicality is sure to make a tangible impact on your life, and after a few months of having it, you'll wonder how you did without it.
- The addition of a luxury lift is likely to have more impact on your home’s value than a stair lift. According to recent estimates, a home lift could increase the value of your home by up to 25%.
Disadvantagesof home lifts
- Certain building considerations need to be made, such as getting the relevant planning permission from relevant authorities. This can prolong the process of having the lift installed.
- Home elevators are usually more expensive than stair lifts. The exact price depends on a number of features, such as the number of floors, lift cabin size and amount of reconstruction needed. That said, they also add value to your home so the added costs now may be worth it in the future.
- Home lift installation can be more intrusive in your day-to-day life, with more construction work needed over a longer period of time. The likelihood is that you’ll have to hire an architect to draw up your plans, and a contractor for the remodelling. Overall, the home lifts take around six months from start to finish.
Overall, if you're short on time, money or need it tomorrow, a stair lift is the choice for you. However, if you’re willing and able to make the commitment to add a unique feature to your home, then a home lift is what you should opt for. It might be more pricey in the short term, but the rewards to your quality of life and property value are worth it. After all, it’s your home – make it special.